Director at Victoria Letlapa Trading and Projects:
1. Tell us about your business.
To create a service provider of choice for the architectural, construction and insurance industries for all the finishing trade.
2. Can you share a few of the most memorable achievements in your career?
- Being a service provider for the Insurance Industry and private sector
- Finishing projects way before hand over.
- Service Excellence – the heart of our business
- Doing it right the first time and job satisfaction
3. How do you stay motivated?
- Understand your purpose behind what you’re doing
- Plan step by step
- Have a clear vision
- Stay positive at all times
- You must be organized
- Tackle procrastination head on
- Choose success
4. How do you keep your team motivated?
- Focus on team building
- Give my team regular incentives
- Show interest in my teams as a person and not just as staff
4. What advice would you give to other women considering the construction industry as a career choice?
- Don’t be afraid to venture into the unknown
- Believe in yourself.
- Nothing is off limits, go for it
- My advice to any female in the industry would be to be patient, work HARD, strive to learn something new every day, and be a sponge to absorb all the knowledge around you to make yourself better as a person and as a professional in the construction field.
5. What has been the hardest part of your journey and what got you through it?
- Finding and keeping quality individuals who will work for you was the hardest for me.
- Finding clients and projects
- Having finances enough to execute projects but I persevered.
- I got through it because I did not give up and focused on my goals and had a clear vision of what I wanted to achieve
6. How, if at all, has Covid impacted your course? What advice would you give to other businesswomen in a similar situation?
Business was slow but kept on reminding me that this too shall pass. I always remained positive. The most important thing to do is to have a positive mindset because the battlefield is the mind and if you lose the battle in the mind, you already lost the fight.
7. What would you tell your 21-year-old-self?
- Believe in yourself and live your purpose.
- Motivate yourself every day and remember with God all things are possible
- Know your worth