Attention: MASTER BUILDERS ASSOCIATION NORTH MEMBERS
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:
RE: ANNUAL SHUTDOWN/BUILDING BREAK 2021/2022
- The above- mentioned matter bears reference.
- Kindly take note that neither the Gauteng, nor Mpumalanga, Limpopo or Northwest provinces have a bargaining Council in place for the building industry, and therefore the is no statutory Building holiday.
- The decision and announcement of the builder’s break is therefore at present decided in terms of an industry understanding as well as a guideline provided by the Master Builders Association North (MBA North) annually. This is however not prescriptive and serves a mere advisory role.
- In principle, it is recommended that the entire industry, including contractors, subcontractors, suppliers and alike close their business until the new year, to give their staff leave during this period.
- The minimum entitlement of employment is as follows:
- Every employee is entitled, under the provisions of the Basic Conditions of Employment Act, to at least 21 consecutive days (i.e., 15 working days) leave of absence on full pay in respect of each period of 12 consecutive month of employment.
- In addition to the above, the leave must be extended by an extra working day on full pay for each Public Holiday which falls on what otherwise would have been a normal working day during the leave period.
- During the December 2021 and January 2022 period, there are public holidays which fall on normal working days, namely Thursday 16 December 2021 and Monday 27 December 2021.
- The MBA North recommended period for builders Break for 2021/2022 will run from the last day of work Friday 10 December 2021, until Friday 7 January 2022. The industry will return to work Monday 10 January 2022.
- It is advisable that your company has a policy folder in place, dealing with all staff matters to ensure that all staff are informed of internal policies and procedures, as well as have certainly on how to approach this matter.
- If you are unsure as to when you should give your staff leave, have any enquiries in respect of your staff’s leave entitlement, or require a policy file, kindly contact Lizelle at MBA North () or 011 805 6611
Master Builders Association North